Here are the shirts I started with, they were $2.99 each, one in a small, the other in a 2XL. Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture, I didn't pay attention to the fact it was blurry when I snapped it.
I picked apart all of the seams (gotta love picking out serging, NOT. I did it during an episode of Criminal Minds so it took a little less then an hour since I fast forward through the commercials, which doesn't seem as long as it felt.) I saved all the trim pieces from the small shirt so I could add them to the finished top.
I had to be a bit creative with my piecing in order to get all the fabric I needed for the top I made, there are 5 different seams in the light pink velvet yoke portion just to make it all fit, luckily they are mostly hidden by the pile of the velvet.
Here is the finished product, I made a bubble shirt with little capped sleeves (the sleeve caps were the bust pieces of the original small shirt.)
I used the front trim and bow as is from the small top.
In order to hide a seam I needed to add to the width of the front, I cut the side trim from the small top in half and gathered it so that I could sew it into the seam as a detail.
The back is more simple, with less fullness gathered into the hem band.
Anyway, here is my offering for week 3, I am glad I took the time to make it, I was feeling pretty stressed out about not doing any sewing lately, and this "scratched the itch" so to speak! (Emmie's shorts are thrifted too from last year which is why they are a *little* tight, that girl is a weed I tell you!) Emmie did her own hair this morning, and I only managed to take the pictures as she ran out the door for school, she asked that her sleepy face NOT be in any of the photos, hence the chopped off head!
Linked up at,